Monday, October 20, 2008

New Apartment and News

View from my balcony.

View from the rooftop pool of the cordillera

My kitchen and living room from the balcony.

Rooftop endless pool

Nothing to do with my apartment, but a nice shot
of the presidential palace, La Moneda, I took when I was 
last downtown.

Dear Friends,

Sorry for not having posted once again in a very long time. At first there was little to report. I was just enjoying myself and going out and relaxing. Fortunately, my extremely vacation is now at an end.

Today I finally moved into a new apartment, and I couldn't be happier. It's a very beautiful apartment, big enough to have people over and spread out a little bit. This apartment, though, was less about comfort (though I think it's very comfortable), and more about location. Here I find myself a half block from the nearest metro station. Also, within a 20 minute walking distance I can reach two malls filled with anything I'd need. In addition, within ten minutes are a number of pantries and other shops. Finally, I'm two blocks from the best restaurant and cafe district in town. Included above are some photos of the apartment, views from my awesome balcony, and views from the 16th floor pool and parilla.

I also start work tomorrow at the University of Development. Later this week I also hope to get in contact with the University of Chile's law school where I'll be working in the environmental law department. I'm very happy with my job prospects and am excited to get to work.

This Friday I'll be having a little apartment welcoming party, so if you find yourself somewhere near the bottom end of the planet, stop by La Alsacia 151 depto. 801 in Las Condes, Santiago de Chile. All are welcome but be warned that only pisco will be served here. Pisco is the unofficial national drink of Chile. It basically amounts to a semi-sweet white brandy distilled from grapes (for preparation methods, see Pisco Sour). I hope to have some pictures of that to post on later, as well as other news and happenings. I'm also planning on writing a post surveying local cuisine, replete with pictures and preparation methods, for those of you that are more culinarily inclined.

Enjoy and thanks so much for reading. Please feel free to post comments!

Derek

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

great pictures, Yo etoy muy celosa de tu refrigerador que daria por unas empanadas y una marraqueta chao judith

Flood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sick place, Der. So excited for the culinary post. Buena suerte con tu empleo nuevo! Voy a mandarte un email, todo en espanol. Necesito practicar.

Anonymous said...

Hola Derek,
Congratulations on the new digs! Definitely looks like a nifty bachelor pad - the views are awesome. Ben wants to know where the big screen TV is.
We want to see post Pisco party pics as soon as you recover. Have a good one and good luck at your new job.
XOXOXO Jackie & Benj-Dawg

Anonymous said...

Derek...we miss you big time buddy. We do not know what your talking about..your apartment is friggin sweet. I hope you have a great time in Chile! Don't pay for Too much sex!

-US

Schwa said...

that apartment looks sweet. flood only checks your blog for food.

Schwa said...

for some reason my default name on blogspot was 'charterhater'. ehh, pretty accurate name i guess.