Sunday, September 28, 2008

Karaoke, Early Halloween, and Picorocos


Me attempting to dance salsa, mildly well if I don't say so myself.


After taking the highest score ever on karaoke, singing Grease.

Gotta represent the west side.


First, I would just like to clarify that I have many images to show, but because Blogger only lets me upload five images per post, I'm going to write on this one, but then there will be several posts after with more pictures. 

This past week has been both fun and extremely difficult. The process for my citizenship application has basically come to a screeching halt due to a terrible bureaucracy here and now a crippling strike. Otherwise, I've been working on looking for a job. Though there are many things I can do, I'm trying to find the right fit. Basically now I think that what will best is working at one of the universities here. There, I will work with leaders here in public policy, economics, or political science. The advantage for me is that I won't just be sitting somewhere doing data entry, I'll be working closely with some of the leaders in their fields here in Chile. The bad part is that I'll only get paid enough to cover my subway or bus rides and lunch. Fortunately, it appears that English lessons are greatly in demand, and I can tutor privately with people during the week to make some cash.

In regards to my social life, this weekend was the first weekend I truly went out, or as they say carretear. Friday night, Hans had some of his friends over to drink. We ended up drinking, singing karaoke, and salsa dancing until 5am. His friends were great and all were so friendly and engaging. They were thrilled to meet me, as I them, and we're all smoking hookah together next Friday at one of the girl's houses. Last night, Saturday night, we went out with a different group of people to a bar and then the discoteque until about 5:30. It was also very fun, though it still is hard for me to stay out and dance until that late. 

More posts to follow this one with pictures and explanations, including a post about my trip to the famed Mercado Central and my interesting experience there. Thanks and enjoy!

No comments: