Sunday, November 2, 2008

Chilean Cuisine, Part I


By popular request (mostly from Flood), tonight's posting is going to be the first in a series covering Chilean cuisine. Today's delicacy is one of the most ubiquitous of Chilean foods, something that all people, no matter of class, age, or gender can enjoy. This wondrous tube of processed meat is commonly known as the hot dog. Here in Chile, the hot dog, or "vienesa," is one of the most common of street foods.
The most popular of the vienesas served here in Santiago is probably that of Domino. Domino is a small restaurant in the downtown that made the hot dog famous eighty years ago. Today it is a national franchise with many locations. However, to snag this photo, I journeyed to the perilous Centro to eat at the original Domino. My own father loved Domino very much- going there is not only for good food but also an experience. There you can only stand and it is constantly packed. I arrived with my camera and they were only too eager to serve me. I asked simply for a "completo," shown above, with a chirimoya juice. A completo is the standard hot dog served in Chile. It includes the hot dog, bun, americano (a type of sauce), mayonnaise with a relish in it, tomato with cilantro, and avocado. It sounds weird, what with no ketchup or mustard, but it's honestly amazing. These guys are so huge I typically eat one with a fork an knife. Served alongside a cold glass of chirimoya juice (chirimoya is a green fruit that doesn't exist in the states really), it's a complete meal, both cheap and delicious. This combo cost me a whopping 1200 pesos, or about two dollars. Bon appetite!

Preview for tomorrow: The empanada.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi dDrek I love the view of the completo hotdog I have very good memories del Domino going with your faher, I think he was one of the few gringos who knew about domino in downtown thanks to me